[Dixielandjazz] Original Dixieland One Step: Questions

Mike C. mike at michaelcryer.com
Tue Aug 16 11:54:27 PDT 2005

Listmates,

A couple friends and I heard some good OKOM at a private party last night.
Their first set went kinda like this:

1. At The Jazz band Ball
2. Darktown Strutters Ball
3. Shine
4. Milenburg Joys
5. Summertime
6. Copenhagen (tune fell apart during the bridge)
7. All of me
8. I Found A New baby

The band then took a break. I asked the leader if I could make a request
and he said I could. So I requested 'Original Dixieland One Step' he
looked at me kinda funny and said "Sir, that is a racist song and we
wouldn't feel comfortable playing it. You should be ashamed for requesting
it."

I know nothing about the history of this song. Can anyone please tell me
what it is about this song that makes it "racist"? I wasn't even aware
that this song was racist.

Mike (Shaking my head)