[Dixielandjazz] The Turkish Drummer

BillSargentDrums at aol.com BillSargentDrums at aol.com
Tue Aug 16 07:08:32 PDT 2005

The Turkish Drummer

A  Turkish drummer has had a lifelong ambition to visit America to study jazz
drumming with his  idols. In order to earn enough money for the venture he
has joined 'Abdul  Ahmed's Club Date Band,' which specializes in Turkish folk
music and is much  renowned in the circuit of well-paid society gigs.

After saving up  enough money he leaves the band and moves to New York where
he takes private lessons from  his favorite drummers, Steve Gadd and Elvin
Jones.

After two years of hard study and penniless, he returns to Turkey, where
necessity once again forces  him to join the famous Abdul Ahmed. Eager to show off
his recently acquired jazz  licks, the drummer crams every available space in
the arrangements with fills  and breaks of astonishing complexity, displaying
all of  his breathtaking technique.

After enduring an hour of deafening  pyrotechnics, Abdul Ahmed approaches the
drummer during the intermission and  takes him to one side.

"You know, I think what you are doing is very  nice. Very, very nice," he
says smiling patiently, "but all we need here is a  simple backbeat on seven and
thirteen."