[Dixielandjazz] Re: C-melody saxes

dingle at baldwin-net.com dingle at baldwin-net.com
Sun Aug 14 20:08:11 PDT 2005

Len Nielsen wrote:

> Hi Mike
>
> A few years back, '99 to be exact, the "Rhythm Rascals" had a C melody
> sax in their group. To me, it had it's own unique sound and I thought
> it fit perfectly with this group.
>
> The group makeup:
>
> Ralf Reynolds........Washboard (C?????)
> John Reynolds........National guitar
> Randy Morris.........National guitar and piano
> Lee Westenhofer......Tuba
> Scott Black..........Cornet
> Dan Levinson.........C melody saxophone
>
> Come to think of it, what a great lineup! Maybe that's why they
> sounded so good. :)
>
> Len Nielsen
>

> Bill Haesler wrote:
>
>> Mike said: >C melody, trombone, piano, tuba and drums?<
>> JD replied: >Actually, that's not a bad combo.<
>>
>> Dear Mike and JD,
>> It would probably work a whole lot better with washboard in lieu of
>> drums.
>> 8>)
>> Kind regards,
>> Bill.

Dan Levinson was a Rosey McHargue disciple and Rosey played C melody
sax.  I woked for  most of a year with Rosey in the early '60's and his
rendition of "Blue iis the Night" is  the perfect choice for a C melody
lead. Again, here it on Rosey's Stomp Off  CD "OH How He Can Sing". Dan
was a young fellow when I met him as one of  Uncle Rosey's  mentorees.
So this above ensemble has to be  as good as it gets.
Don Ingle