[Dixielandjazz] Blacks Don't Like Dixieland? Utter Nonsense

Charlie Hooks charliehooks2 at earthlink.net
Sun Aug 14 10:09:27 PDT 2005

On Thursday, July 14, 2005, at 09:58 AM, Steve barbone wrote:

> BTW, 8 hours of gigging in one day? No problem for any of us since
> we have
> been working 25 to 30 gigs a month since April. We are curious just
> how long
> we can play now without leaking air. Even me, who has gone up to a
> 3 & 1/2
> strength Van Doren Reed with my wide lay 5JB mouthpiece. They
> recommend a 1
> & 1/2 or 2 strength reed and in March I was using a 2.

Interesting sidelight: I also use a 5JB wide lay (ever since Davern
recommended it), although when I was all those years on the road with
the Celebration Road Show and playing every day and most nights I was
using a glass O'Brian and a #4 LaVoz clipped.  So I thought my chops
were up to anybody's.  Ah, pride goeth before a fall...

Jerry Fuller always got a great sound, and in Chicago back in 1978 I
got to try his horn.  All air.  No sound at all, not even a squeak.
Turned out Jerry was using a fibercane reed that he'd found a reed
clipper to clip.  It was like trying to blow a steel wedge.  Jerry
had no problem with it at all.  The guy is a freak!  He modeled for
the big guy in James Bond movies with the steel teeth.  Except that
with Jerry it's the lips!  I haven't heard him now in some time, but
I'd be willing to bet he still has those chops.  Humiliat'n...

Charlie Hooks