[Dixielandjazz] Max Geldray

glen page gpage at dccnet.com
Sat Aug 13 15:29:49 PDT 2005

Howdy Dick,
The dreaded Goon Show strikes again!

In the '50s I was an avid Goon Show fan and could quote verbatim, often to
my educators distain, whenever one of them asked me a question that deserved
an appropriate response.

A feature of the Goon Show broadcasts on the BBC was Max and the Ray
Ellington Quartet. Whilst I did not think of his music as jazz, at least my
kind of jazz, it certainly did spice things up whilst we tried to recover
from uncontrollable fits of laughter at the exploits of Colonel Bloodknock,
..."No more curried eggs for me", or Eccles, "You throwed me in the water".

I do do know whether the tapes of the programs are still available,Google
may get a response, but if your sense of humour stretches back to those days
I'm sure that you would enjoy Neddy, Eccles, Bloodknock et al and also be
rewarded by hearing Max on all of those tapes.

I would be amazed if there was not a Goon Show fan club still active in the
UK.

Good luck, Glen.