[Dixielandjazz] How does Leon Bismark Beiderbecke grab you?

rahberry at comcast.net rahberry at comcast.net
Sat Aug 13 10:29:06 PDT 2005

For what it's worth:
Here's a quote from The Leon Bix Beiderbecke Story by Philip R. and Linda K. Evans, page 17:

"Charles "Burnie" Beiderbecke (7-21-55)  [Bix's older brother]
Bix's name came about as follows:  Our Dad was Bismark.  He wouldn't allow any of his sons to be named Bismark!  The idea that Bismark was "the Bix's" middle name should be dismissed.  In dad's younger days his friends nicknamed him "Bix."  When I was born, I was "Little Bix" and dad was "Big Bix."  Later I was just "Bix."  That name stuck with me until "the Bix" came and claimed it.
"When "the Bix" was born, the folks named him Leon Bix Beiderbecke, and he was so christened in the First Presbyterian Church here in Davenport.  We called him Bickie until he decided Bix would do."

Another quote from Tom Seehof (1-18-98)
"During a family discussion, I recall someone saying Uncle Bismark insisted that they had to actually name one of the children Bix to make the name official."

BTW, both birth certificates (Leon B. and Leon Bix) are shown in this book, both "Courtesy of the Beiderbecke family."

~Rae Ann