[Dixielandjazz] Washboards - Novelty Instruments?

tcashwigg at aol.com tcashwigg at aol.com
Thu Aug 11 21:45:52 PDT 2005

well Steverino mi amigo of the outcast of the okom set.

I am sitting here  tonight listening to a Cd I bought on the net hoping
to find some new and wonderful inspiration  for some New Orleans Style
Christmas songs for my band to play this season.  It is entitled New
Orleans Christmas, and about the only thing on the Cd resembling New
Orleans is the photo on the front cover of a Frecnh Quarter street not
like any I have ever been on with a set of Christmas lights hanging off
of one balcony.

The music is even worse,  but then I look at the credits and find that
it is produced by a guy named Sam Levine who also plays Clarinet and
Soprano Sax.  What a bunch of technically correct slick arranged charts
of syrupy renditions of Holiday classics like I have never heard
outside an elevator in my life.   This stuff would not lend itself to
swing even in the small enclosure of an elevator.   Nothing wrong with
the music or the fine instrumentalist playing it except it has NO BALLS
and definitely does not even come close to swinging  EVER EVER EVER.
This is a typical offering of what in my opinion has decreased the real
audience for authentic swinging good time New Orleans Jazz.   Pathetic
dinner hour music that folks often play when they don't want the music
to interfere with their chatter.   Unfortunately it has become the
accepted NORM in OKOM music as to what the Hell Dixieland and OKOM New
Orleans in particular sounds like.   I am sorry folks but I have rarely
heard anything further from real New Orleans music in my life, Hell I
have heard some pretty shitty New Orleans bands in my life that sounded
more authentic and better than this stuff.

This stuff sounds like Lawrence Welk on Qualudes laced with Morphine.
It is put out by a company called Village Square Music

The company is out of Nashville, but the internet listing for the Cd
was on a site about New Orleans CHRISTMAS MUSIC.  WELL MAYBE SAM WENT
THER ONCE TO MAKE A POHOTO FOR THE COVER BUT IT IS OBVIOUS THAT HE
NEVER SPENT ANY TIME THERE LISTENING TO REAL NEW ORLEANS MUSIC.  And
they must have not had any music playing at all the night he was there
to make the photo.  :))

I have been ripped off for $6.99 + shipping and handling, and in the
words of the TREME BRASS BANDS SONG
"I WANT MY MONEY BACK"   Buyer beware, just because it says and looks
like Nawlins don't mean it is nawlins.

Cheers,

Tom Off the Streets Wiggins
Saint Gabriel's Celestial Brass Band