[Dixielandjazz] Whoa there, Steve!

Robert Smith robert.smith at mitransport.no
Thu Aug 11 10:31:32 PDT 2005

You're on dangerous ground describing washboards and jugs as "novelty" instruments. If you'd said "born of necessity" I could have agreed with you. Some of the greatest rhythmists played (and recorded) tunes using washboards. People like Baby Dodds, Jimmy Bertrand, Jasper Taylor, and Floyd Casey. I certainly don't regard the records made by the Memphis Jug Band as other than great jazz, certainly not "novelty".
My belief is that the drums became more used as small jazz bands became big bands in the 1930's, because of the greater sound volume that drums are capable of.
The pop world could certainly benefit from the use of the washboard, unless of course it is intentional that the singer should be drowned by the drums.

Cheers

Bob Smith