[Dixielandjazz] Suitcases - Was Washboards & Drums

Bill Gunter jazzboard at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 11 10:25:41 PDT 2005

Hi group . . .

Steve B wrote (regarding the place of washboards in the orchestra):

>When playing for our young new audience, we find that it
>is necessary to have a drummer. A washboard is simply not going to cut it.
>Doesn't swing, doesn't "drive" the band. Simple as that.

>Nothing against washboards or washboard players. They can be used to great
>effect on certain novelty tunes . . . but they are just that, a novelty
>instrument.

As you all might surmise, I'm a teensy bit skeptical of the above remarks.
Since Steve stated flat out that washboards 1. don't swing, 2. don't drive a
band and 3. are but a novelty I would like to counter by saying flat out
that washboards can indeed swing, drive and have a broader range than that
of a mere "novelty" instrument such as the clarinet.

I offer as exhibit "A" the work of Ralph Reynolds, washboardist with the
Rhythm Rascals and the work of Bob Raggio and Stephen Joseph (RIP) over a
number of years with bands such as the South Frisco Jazz Band and the Uptown
Lowdown Jazz Band. All great washboardists!

Incidentally, last night at our regular "Boondockers" gig in Sacramento,
singer Brady McKay dropped by (mainly to listen to Chuck Bond who was
playing cornet in the band) and we coerced her into singing a number. At one
point in the song Brady told everyone in the band to lay out except for the
washboard and then she and I did a whole chorus as a duet.  It was perhaps
the most musical high point of the entire evening . . . well, you had to be
there!

By the way, the term "washboard" when applied to the device used in a
musical setting refers to the basic corrugated metal contraption ALONG WITH
whatever additional percussive devices are employed (cymbals, cowbells,
woodblocks, horns, tone bells, etc. etc.).  A washboard fully decked out by
a creative and imaginative washboardist may conceivably rival the entire
percussion section of a symphony orchestra!

As a side observation, I note that Steve wrote (regarding percussionist
Lionel Hampton):

>However, occasionally, when they got bored, Lionel would switch off vibes
>and play a battered suitcase, (with drumsticks). Very effective act.

When I was a drummer in the Black Diamond Jazz Band years ago we did a song
(I forget the name of it at the moment) where the score called for the
drummer to actually play a chorus using a suitcase as a "novelty." I didn't
want to haul an acoustic suitcase around, so what I did instead was stand up
and then pick up the throne with my left hand and whack the cushioned
leather seat with the fat end of a drumstick (flat against the surface of
the seat) to produce a satisfactory 'THWACK!' on the off beat which caused
many people in the audience to wet their pants!

Respectfully submitted,

Bill Gunter
jazzboard at hotmail.com