[Dixielandjazz] Re: Show tunes from Chicago

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Wed Aug 10 16:23:19 PDT 2005

> Why do musicians have to put down show tunes if they aren't from "older"
musicals???<

Dear Steve and Mike,
I certainly agree with you both, all the way, for knocking the knockers who
pick and choose specific older tunes and reject out-of-hand more recent ones
as unsuitable for OKOM.
But. In the case of 'Chicago' and some recent shows ('Cats", 'Les Mis',
'Lion King', 'Phantom of the Opera'', et al) have you, apart from the
several exceptions mentioned by me mate Pat the Ladd, ever actually featured
any as jazz with your respective bands???
In fact, how many can you whistle along with, or even hum?
Instantly forgettable.
They suit the magnificent spectacle that these 'shows' have become but,
generally, most fail as 'stand alone' songs.
As you said Steve: "......I enjoy the show and the music for what they are."
Exactly!
But jazz tunes?
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
Kind regards,