[Dixielandjazz] Trummy in Sacramento

Bob Romans cellblk7 at comcast.net
Wed Aug 10 07:35:12 PDT 2005

Trummy was the guest at one of the Sunday Jazz Sessions in Sacramento shortly before he passed away...I met him because I was interested in booking him for a club meeting of the San Joaquin Dixieland Jazz Society when I was in charge of bookings...he gave me his card and told me he would be only to happy to appear as a guest, then...sadly...
I'll never forget when he was on stage standing alone in front of the band that was accompanying him, and he said he was going to play a tune attributed to Duke Ellington, but in reality was composed by Barney  Bigard...he put a mute in his trombone, and played the most beautiful rendition of "Mood Indigo" that I've heard...he had the smooth skin on his face of a twenty year old...he looked fantastic, and I think he was over eighty at the time.
Warm regards,
Bob Romans,
Cell Block 7 Jazz Band
1617 Lakeshore Dr.