[Dixielandjazz] Show tunes from Chicago

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed Aug 10 07:33:25 PDT 2005

Vaxtrpts at aol.com wrote
> Well, aren't we just too, too..............................
> Why do musicians have to put down show tunes if they aren't from "older"
> musicals???
> Sorry, but I, along with quite a few other musicians I know, LIKE  Chicago.
> Are the tunes ones that lend themselves to playing by traditional  jazz
> groups?  Probably not.  But there are quite a few in the show,  that fit
> perfectly,
> are catchy, and have interesting things about them.
> Would I say they are musical masterpieces? No.
> Are they fun tunes from a very enjoyable show? Yes!

Ha Ha, AMEN MIKE.

Maybe we put them down because as OKOM tunnel visionaries, we have some sort
of inferiority complex. A lack of inner security because we are out of the
main stream? So therefore, we put other musical forms down in order to feel
more secure and smugly superior?

Then again, maybe we just have mental dystonia? :-) VBG

Like you I enjoy the show and the music for what they are.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone