[Dixielandjazz] Trombone Focal Dystonia

Charlie Hooks charliehooks2 at earthlink.net
Mon Aug 8 14:29:25 PDT 2005

On Monday, August 8, 2005, at 12:36 PM, Dave Gravatt wrote:

> She said there was good news, that certain brain imaging was showing
> visible differences (of some kind) in the brains of those who have
> it and those who don't. She said a cure will be found. <pause> But
> not in our lifetime.

Dave, I saw a TV documentary last year about an operation on a guy
who had "generalized" focal dystonia (whatever that is) and was all
twisted up from head to toe.  They drilled a pinhole in his head,
inserted some kind of cathode, and they guy straightened up like
there had never been anything wrong.

I can't find a reference for the program, but the effect was almost
magical: one moment the guy was a mess, the next moment he was
normal.  The trick, they said, was knowing where to drill and where
to insert the wire.   Like most magicians, they neglected to explain
the details.

But your doc may well be right--and the cure may be closer than she
thinks.  There must be someplace on the web that keeps up with this
stuff.

Glad you had a chance to work with Dan Havens.  We were young
together back in the 50s in Ann Arbor and started the original Boll
Weevil Jass Band in 1955 with Mike Montgomery, John Teachout and
other odd folk like Bob Shanahan who, during his last year in med
school, broke into the U of Mich band house and stole the giant tuba
for a Boll Weevil concert, then broke back in again the next morning
to return it.

keep in touch, friend.
Charlie Hooks