[Dixielandjazz] Gloomy Sunday

EDWIN COLTRIN boreda at sbcglobal.net
Sun Aug 7 18:49:09 PDT 2005

During the 30's, one of the local Sunday papers had a section referred to as " The Rotogravure Section". It contained accounts of the suicides in Europe by persons hearing the tune. Then jumping into the Danube River.It was also the section that created my interest in Science Fiction and rocketry,  with the exploits of Goddard and expeimental rockets Which I shall not discuss.

In some later research, the weekly accounts of the suicides was largely exaggerated, whether for lack of news or for sensationalism. At least that was consensus of the author, name and source, in the crash of the memory chip.

I purchased the Billie Holiday record with the "BANNED" STRANGE FRUIT, on the other side. What a combination.One towards self destruction and the other towards destroying someone else.

Several years ago I pulled out the record and played it for several friends who did not believe that any tune could lead to suicide. After listening to the lyrics and the somber music, there was some agreement of possibility. Of course the music came out in the midst of "The Great Depression" and Europe was deeper in the depression than was felt here in the U.S.

A wheelbarrow of "Forints" to buy bread or a  wheelbarrow of Weimar Reichmarks for the same loaf.

Artie Shaw's rendition with his clarinet is very moving but I feel the plaintive voice of Billie, haunts my memory

Slainte

Ye Olde Mouldy Fygge

A wee Dram wi' pick me up

Ed Coltrin