[Dixielandjazz] Re: gloomy sunday

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Sun Aug 7 16:52:59 PDT 2005

Dear Pat, et al,
I hit the 'send' button too quickly and forgot to mention that I also played
the eastern-flavoured Artie Shaw 3 March 1940 version of "Gloomy Sunday"
with its fine vocal by Pauline Byrne. She does not sing the 'dream' lyric.
An interesting arrangement by Artie and William Grant Still, with some
lovely Artie clarinet and a great last chorus by the orch.
Nor is the 'dream' lyric on the 5 March 1936 Hal Kemp version (which I also
have) with vocal by Bob Allen. I wonder who added it?
Regards,
Bill.