[Dixielandjazz] Banjo news and question

Elazar Brandt jazzmin at actcom.net.il
Fri Aug 5 13:51:49 PDT 2005

Shalom Jazz Fans,

I typically watch the local message boards for anyone looking for musical
services that I can provide, and I write them a brief personal email note and
direct them to my website. The percentage of those who respond at all, much less
actually hire my services, is relatively small, but some do, and every now and
then an amusing one turns up.

This week someone posted a notice that she is looking for a guitar teacher. I
don't play or teach guitar, so I usually don't bother responding, but for some
reason I did this time. Maybe it's because I need the work? Anyway, I made an
impassioned plea that she consider a more off the beaten path instrument like
the banjo before she inflicts yet another guitar and player on our poor world.

Well, she wrote back and asked a few questions, and I answered, and the bottom
line is we have an appointment on Sunday for a trial lesson, and if she likes
it, she'll give the banjo a try. She could become Israel's 3rd tenor banjoist,
after me and my student turned partner in the Dr Jazz band.

Anyone know where I can get a deal on a beeper?

She did raise an interesting question, which might also apply to guitar playing.
Does anyone know or have any experience with carpel tunnel syndrome being caused
by or aggravated by playing banjo or any stringed instrument. I guess she
already had an operation on one hand, and is concerned about the other hand, and
recurring problems. I've been playing for 35 years and never heard of any such
thing, but I thought I'd submit the question to our venerable list.

TIA for any information.

Elazar
Doctor Jazz Dixieland Band
Tekiya Trumpet/Brass Ensemble