[Dixielandjazz] collection data bases

David W. Littlefield dwlit at cpcug.org
Thu Aug 4 05:52:31 PDT 2005

At 08:36 AM 08/04/05 -0300, luis daniel flores wrote:
>interesting topic, about disc or LP data bases, Which one do you use? how
>you do to localize en 2 minutes such a huge collection?
>Luis
>Dr. Luis Daniel Flores FRCOG
>www.jazzysentimientos.com.ar

I use Lotus APPROACH database program. It's easy to use and uses the
standard .dbf format. I use it for my collections, finances, addresses.

I'm told it's still available from IBM (which bought Lotus) and it's easier
to use and smaller than ACCESS.

The .dbf format also can be imported into spreadsheets.

If I understand your question correctly, you can search the databases
several ways.
A database consists of "fields" that you create for specific types of
information. These show up as spaces on a view screen that has 3 functions:
input data, view data, and search. If you create an album database, you'd
make fields for title, artist, label, catalog number (the label's), music
category, etc. You could search on any of these fields; you can search for
individual words or phrases in each field.

I have an album database, and track databases for each main type or era of
music.
For more information, go to my website:

http://cpcug.org/user/dwlit
click on "CD databases"