[Dixielandjazz] Re: Tenor guitar?

jsbarque at netscape.net jsbarque at netscape.net
Fri Apr 29 20:04:40 PDT 2005

Bob. I am sure the Plectrum guitar is tuned the same as a plectrum banjo i.e. C-B-G-D (4,3,2,1). Eddie Condon played a beautiful Gibson PG4 Plectrum guitar in the early 30s and you can see photos in his biography. 4 strings, 22 frets, F-holes, accoustic. I have one and always tune it the same as my banjo. It arouses curiosity from onlookers who are often experts on guitar and haven't seen a plectrum guitar before. They often argue that it is a tenor guitar until the difference in tuning and number of frets is explained.

These days the term "plectrum guitar" seems to apply to any 6-string accoustic guitar played with a plectrum. It is easy for a guitar player to tune a plectrum guitar or plectrum banjo to the top 4 of the guitat as you described. This was discussed on the list several years ago and is termed "Chicago Tuning" (the name sounds great). It gives a thinner sound, however, as the notes are grouped closer. Also, the proper plectrum banjo tuning lends itself to chord solos whereas the banjo tuned to guitar loses out on the advantage of the lower two strings - you might as well have a 6-string neck attached and be done with it.

cheers

Tony Orr
Riviera Dixieland Jazz Band
Sale, Vic