[Dixielandjazz] Re: Questions on two Bechet tunes

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Tue Apr 26 16:43:29 PDT 2005

Dear Gary,
The correct name for "I Keep Calling Your Name" (Bechet-Barbarin) is "En
attendant le jour".
It was initially recorded by Sidney Bechet with Claude Luter & Son
Orchestre, in Paris, on 4 May 1951. Take -1 was on the original release.
Takes -2, -3 and -4 have also been subsequently released on LP. Take -3 is
also on French CD 670605.
I have -1 on a Vogue LP. It is/was on a French Vogue CD 614003.
My Vogue LP omits Paul Barbarin's name in the tune credit (why am I not
surprised?) but it is included on the Armand Hug 1974 piano solo version on
Swaggie LP S1349.
I can't help with the composition date, but will keep looking.

"Ghost of the Blues" (Tim Brymn - Sidney Bechet) by Eva Taylor accomp.
Williams' Harmonizers on Okeh 8145 was recorded in NYC on 16 May 1924 with
Tom Morris, c; Charlie Irvis, tb; prob Lorenzo Tio, cl (as mentioned by
DJMLer Glen Page); Clarence Williams, p.
I have it on on Document DOCD 5409 and [French] Hot'N Sweet CD 'Complete
Clarence Williams Sessions. Volume 2', FDC 5109 (issued in 1990 and long
deleted).
Also on the French Masters of Jazz CD series as noted by Glen. No LP or
other CD reissues, to my knowledge.
Kind regards,
Bill.