[Dixielandjazz] The "Dukes..." and Pete. etc.

Charles Suhor csuhor at zebra.net
Tue Apr 26 15:04:25 PDT 2005

> Bryce, John (CCPS) wrote:
>
>> Good question.  So would I.
>>
>> Pete Fountain was with them [the Dukes] 1950 to 1955.  There's an LP,
>> but not sure about
>> a CD
>>
>> Jack Bryce

Actually, Pete left the Dukes early on, joining drummer Phil Zito's
International City Dixielanders (with George Girard, Joe Rotis, and
others) around mid-1949 for a Columbia recording session and a gig at
the El Morocco on Bourbon St. He stayed with basically the same group
when they left Zito and became the Basin St. Six, 1950-53. Internal
dissension prompted Pete to go with a rhythm section only, playing the
Famous Door as Pete Fountain and His Three Coins. He then played
briefly on the road with the Dukes on the road (I don't know if he
recorded with them) but returned to N.O. and worked for a while, as did
Al Hirt, for a pesticide company. The local revival had given way to
R&B and other music.

Incidentally, Frank Assunto was grateful for the big break of Sid
Frey's first Audio-Fiedlity recordings, but he considered them corny.
In a 1970 interview for New Orleans magazine he told me, "I kept
fighting with Sid Frey so bad about this album that I was really mad
when we got to the session. I said, 'If he's willing to pay that kind
of money for a jazz band. let's give him what he thinks he's going to
get...om-cha, oom-cha...Let's tuba and banjo  him to death.' And that's
what we did--and we built a monster."

The article is reprinted in "Jazz in New Orleans--the Postwar Years
Through 1970" (pp. 160-64) and the info on Zito, Fountain, the Basin
Street Six, etc., is also there (130-132), plus vintage articles on
Pete (1961) and others who played a part in the popular local revival.

Charlie Suhor