[Dixielandjazz] Music is?

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 22 14:53:30 PDT 2005

"Ron L'Herault" <lherault at bu.edu> wrote (polite snip)

 > Next gig, Steve, play the same trill for every selection, all night long.
> Let me know what the reaction is.   One thing for sure, you will have the
> territory to yourself (Very very big grin).

Ha ha, AMEN to that. But then some birds (e.g. Mockingbirds) have a broad
language of different musical sounds which apparently mean different things.
Not unlike the experienced jazz musicians.

BTW list mates may want to check their Dictionaries for "music". Not that
they are the last word, however mine says:

"Music" definition #3 (out of 7) "any rhythmic sequence of of pleasing
sounds, as of birds, water, etc."

I think music is meant to be pleasing. However, the "pleasing" is in the ear
of the listener. So, what one person calls "music" because it is pleasing,
another may call garbage noise because that person finds the same sounds
unpleasant.  Who is right? Everybody.

Thus my original reasoning: The question of what is music, (or what is jazz)
has no absolute answer, except that it is what you, as a listener, are.

Otherwise, there would be no audience for those musicians who constantly
replay, for example, the Benny Goodman (or any other famous musician/band)
book, note for note. To that audience repetition is very meaningful.

This may explain, in part, why the audience for OKOM is shrinking for most
bands/musicians who play that way. And why the critics ignore them. :-) VBG

It may also explain the prevailing view about young people and their lack of
musical couth. e.g. The idea that the young do not appreciate good music.
Hogwash. Indeed, they may just not like constantly hearing the same old,
same old trill.

For a counter view, we (Barbone Street) do our thing, quite successfully, in
front of young audiences locally. To see the results, check my schedule at:
http://www.barbonestreet.com/schedule.html

Bear in mind that these neither include private gigs nor all the
May-September gigs at the Showboat, because I am not sure at which of them I
will be appearing due to scheduling conflicts etc. Will add probably another
7 in May and 16 in June shortly. (and who knows about Jul-Sept)

Cheers,
Steve Barbone