[Dixielandjazz] Music is ?

Charles Suhor csuhor at zebra.net
Fri Apr 22 14:55:20 PDT 2005

> Paul.  Is beauty inherent in an artifact? I see art as an enduring
> means
>     of engaging the consciousness of another individual.  One's
>     reaction to a particular piece probably depends more on yourself
>     than on the artwork itself -- or even the artist.

I’ll run with Paul’s  entry, though in a direction he might disagree
with! One can greatly enrich one’s reactions by opening to all
sounds—the birds, the wind, a car screeching, conversation, a child
laughing or crying, the students tugging at piano strings, yes, even
rap, and even the silence between sounds—with the same attentive and
receptive ears that you use when opening to music that you're well
disposed to.

As Paul points out, you might not end up liking it, but letting
perceptions of all kinds engage your consciousness without immediate
categorization, negativity, or endorsement makes for an experience
that’s joyful (I won’t say Divine, but I’m okay with those who do),
simply because this state of mind is attentive and has a readiness for
attunement. Isn’t this how we came to enjoy things in many arts and
non-arts that we didn’t like at first? In my case, modern jazz, Pee Wee
Russell, Philip Glass, T.S. Eliot, Harold Pinter, beets, wine, Picasso,
cats, and lots of other stuff.

I realize that this can come off as a hipper-than-thou stance, but
trying to witness with equanimity, then hold conclusions lightly, has
been useful to me as a way of digging the universe less judgmentally
and with less stress.