[Dixielandjazz] What they teach in college these days...

Robert S. Ringwald robert at ringwald.com
Wed Apr 20 21:34:38 PDT 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bill Gunter" <jazzboard at hotmail.com>
To: <robert at ringwald.com>; <dixielandjazz at ml.islandnet.com>
Sent: Wednesday, April 20, 2005 9:16 PM
Subject: Re: [Dixielandjazz] What they teach in college these days...

> Hi all,
>
> Bob Ringwald wonders what I meant when I said " . . . music must speak to
> God."
>
>>Oops there.  "Music must speak to God???"
>
> is the way Ringwald put it.
>
> Yes . . . "speaking to God is just a way of saying music is an expression
> of your soul . . .

But, what if there is no god?

And, I don't see where "music is an expression of
> your soul." means "music must speak to God."

What if we do not have a soul?

> it reaches us and others as beautiful thing. And what makes a song, or any
> great work of art, beautiful? After all, basically it's simply vibrations
> in the sound and light spectra that have an effect on our central nervous
> systems. We are aware of all sorts of stimuli so what is it that makes us
> say "those particular sounds/sights are beautiful?
>
> Why is a belch an offensive sound and bell a beautiful sound?
>
> When it uplifts our spirits it speaks to God.

Again, what if there is no God?  Then does it still uplift our spirits?

> If you want me to define "God" - I'm sorry, I can't do it. But I know when
> something transcends the ordinary.
>
> Wish I could be more clear, but if you don't understand what I meant by
> "music speaking to God" then you'll just have to go with the first two:
> "music must speak to the heart and to awe."

And while we are at it, what is this "Music must speak to to awe?"

> What I'm ultimately getting at is that by and large, most avant garde
> music does not touch my heart.

But, maybe it does touch God's heart.  That is, if there is a God.

Or, maybe it touches my neighbor's heart.  Does that mean that it still does
not touch God if it touches my neighbor's heart but not yours?

> I may marvel at the complexity of the composition or I may not, but if I
> have to think about it then it missed my heart.
>
> When music touches my heart I know it and I don't have to think about why
> it is profound . . . it just is!
>
> While I am on the subject, Mike C., after reading something I wrote,
> responded:
>
> "Ok, then define music. What if one is just dedicated to their way of
> music? Music is about expression,  language and storytelling. Not everyone
> tells their story the same way. Some have new ways of expressing things. I
> don't think you can just say to someone "Your way of expression is wrong
> until you've learned the basics and discipline of expression." There is no
> right or wrong way to express yourself or tell your own story. . ."
>
> I'm sorry, Mike - It's an art form and no one has yet defined "art" in a
> way that satisfies everyone.

But Bill, you defined music, see above.  And, music is art, is it not?

 > I don't think there is such a definition.
>
> But if you say " . . . there is no right or wrong way to express yourself
> . . ." and you're referring to music then you are saying there is really
> no such thing as music. If music is whatever you want it to be then it is
> not anything special. If there isn't a special thing called music then
> there is no art, no discipline.
>
> You know - I can listen to Perlman play the violin and I can say "Wow! No
> matter how hard I try I'll never be able to do that!" But if I listen to
> ten guys climb inside a grand piano and randomly rub and clonk the strings
> and produce various noises I can say "Hell! Anybody can do that and I can
> probably do it better."  Music??? Come on!
>
> Have you ever looked at a contemporary abstract painting and said "Anybody
> can do that . . . it's just scribbles."?
>
> Jackson Pollock dribbled paint of various colors from the top of a ladder
> onto a canvas laid out flat on the floor. The result is a collection of
> random but colorful dribbles and swirls. Anyone with a paint can and a
> ladder can do it.
>
> Funny thing is, I really like Pollock's work -- go figure!

Go figure.

--Bob Ringwald