[Dixielandjazz] What is music?

Gary Kiser gary at kiser.org
Wed Apr 20 13:15:37 PDT 2005

Norman Vickers wrote:

>Also there was a quote from Woody Guthrie about when one has learned to play
>the guitar.
>It goes something like this:  You just plank your ass up against the side of
>the barn and start twanging the strings.  Do this until you have drawn a big
>crowd around to listen, then you have learned how to play the guitar.

I heard this description before.  It reminds me of my solo Scandinavian
busking tour.  I spent six weeks in Denmark, Sweden and Norway pretty
much as a tourist.  But, almost every day, I set up on a street corner
somewhere and played solo tuba.  For the life of me, I don't know if the
kind folk fed my tuba case because they liked what they heard, had pity
on me or thought I'd go away if I made enough money.  In any case, I
always made enough to eat, pay a hotel room and buy a train ticket to
the next town.  Does this mean I know how to play the tuba?

All the best, Gary

Gary Kiser
www.sacapulses.com
www.mojobrassband.com