[Dixielandjazz] The Gig

Bill Gunter jazzboard at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 19 11:08:29 PDT 2005

Hi listmates,

Regarding the video "The Gig" . . .

I have it and I really like the story.

There's a message for us - just because you love jazz, are a credentialed
music teacher, a member of the musicians' union, etc. etc. doesn't
necessarily mean you can play jazz.

In the movie (The Gig), the clarinet player considers himself to be the only
"professional" musician in the band but he is brought face to face with his
own handicaps and it's not easy for him. It may be an issue many of us have
to wrestle with from time to time.

The bass player in the little dixieland band (Clevon Little) is a pick-up
musician for the gig because the regular bass player can't make it. He tends
to be difficult for the rest of the band to accept, not because he's black,
but because he's demanding and seems a bit arrogant to the others. Actually
he's the best musician of the bunch (which doesn't necessarily endear him to
the other guys).

The picture is also quite funny and the owner of the Catskill resort which
hires the band for the gig is a hoot. You can't help but love the guy even
when he is his most outrageous.

Warren plays the part of a good trumpet sideman with some family problems,
but music is his life and he probably suffers a bit because of it.

The music is OK -- nothing spectacular and basically it's simply the pivot
on which the plot turns. The picture is not about great jazz . . . it's
about things that happen to a variety of people out on a gig.

I ain't parting with my copy.

Respectfully submitted,

Bill Gunter
jazzboard at hotmail.com