[Dixielandjazz] Actors portraying musicians

Fred Spencer drjz at bealenet.com
Tue Apr 19 09:17:42 PDT 2005

Dear Ed,
You may be interested in a book,,"Silver Threads" by Arthur Bradley (Aplomb
Publishing, El Paso,TX, 1994) , especially its chapter, "Bandleaders in the
Movies." This has a table of  more than 100 "Pretend Musicians" from 1929 to
1961of "Actors pretending to play band leaders or sidemen". Among many other
tables in this extraordinary book , which is a collection of articles from
"Joslin's Jazz Journal",  is the one of the 1,065 "Star Dust Recordings
1927-1990". This includes the one of only the verse made by Frank Sinatra in
1961. I wonder if anyone else did this. Cheers.
Fred