[Dixielandjazz] need advice--78s,LPs, tapes to CDs

Stan Brager sbrager at socal.rr.com
Tue Apr 19 08:05:09 PDT 2005

Charlie;

Some of the Jump 78s have made it to LP and a few have also been put on CD.
However, what hasn't been converted to CD, can easily be burned onto CD's.
By easily, I mean that the techniques have been around for many years and
are simple tasks on personal computers. That said, there is still much work
which has to be done with the sound images of the 78's and LP's.

If there are pops, clicks and other extraneous noises, they should be
cleaned up before the music is burned on the CD. This process can be quite
time-consuming in the case of worn media. You want to remove or diminish as
much noise as possible without impairing the music. How much is a matter of
your personal taste and tolerance.

The cost varies depending upon whether you farm the work out or do it
yourself; whether you have good media (78's and lp's); whether you have
friends who can accomplish or train you to convert the media into sound
images and "clean-up" the media as required; and whether you have the
hardware and software to perform all that must be done.

I'm certain that some of us on the DJML would be happy to help you in any
way we can. Some of us already have some of the JUMP LP's and your needs
might give us the reason needed to do the conversion to CD.

Feel free to contact me off-line if there is anyway I could help out.

By the way, if you're looking for a 78 capable turntable, see the Stanton
line of turntables. I recently bought their STR8-80 turntable with a 78
stylus for about $250 (tax and shipping included).

Thanks;

Stan
Stan Brager