[Dixielandjazz] Pro Musicians and Lipsynching

Bill Gunter jazzboard at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 18 16:58:04 PDT 2005

Listmates . . .

Speaking of faking an instrumental -

In the Boondockers, I normally play the washboard or banjo or violin but
there is one instrument I pick up and fake. That's a trumpet. There's one
song that Ringwald sings. At the end of his vocal chorus I pick up the
trumpet and lip sync it while our cornetist (Gary Church) hides sort of out
of sight with a mic and does the actual playing.

I try to do it as straight as I can possibly do it without actually knowing
the correct finger positions. However . . . fingering on a trumpet is a
small action compared to, say, a trombone . . . so people generally don't
notice the discrepancies.  I mainly try to get the "body language" right
such as when I "tighten up" to hit that high note, pause to take a breath
and add in the flowery licks Gary tends to add to the melody.

Why, you ask, would we bother to do this? It's a beautiful song (Ringwald
sings "What a Wonderful World) and we do it as straight and clean as we can.
The funny part is where Bob resumes singing at the bridge and I stop
"playing" the trumpet. Gary doesn't stop playing, however, and so the
trumpet just keeps on going over Bob's solo. I try to "squelch" the trumpet
by stuffing a cloth down the bell, holding it against my stomach, hiding it
behind my back, etc.  All the while Gary is making muted, choked and gagging
sounds on the trumpet in sync with my actions trying to "stifle" the sound.

It's very funny . . . especially when I put it behind my back and Gary makes
a very convincing flatulent sound with his cornet.

Oh well, I guess you have to actually see the bit.

Respectfully submitted,

Bill "serious musician" Gunter
jazzboard at hotmail.com

ps - Didn't the group "Milli Vanilli" get into trouble for doing this sort
of thing?