[Dixielandjazz] Sweet and Lowdown

Williams, Bob robert.c.williams at eds.com
Mon Apr 18 13:00:40 PDT 2005

In all fairness, I think it's unreasonable to expect Sean Penn to do a
flawless job of keeping up with Howard Alden.  Have you ever seen Howard
play?  Heck, if it were easy, he wouldn't be making the big bucks.

Sure, it's offputting if you're a pro, or familiar with the instrument,
but I think Penn did a great job under the circumstances.  Funny that
it's mostly musicians who notice the near-accuracy, but complain that
it's not preCISE.  I actually appreciate that Allen and Penn at least
made an effort - the Great Unwashed couldn't care less.

We trombonists are especially susceptible to actors who haven't bothered
to learn the positions, or even which direction to move the slide to
make the pitch lower (it's "away").  Yet we are the only ones to
complain, and who listens?

I think a meatier thread would be a discussion of the silliest movies
depicting musicians.  I vote for "Pete Kelly's Blues."

Bob Williams
Trombonist Extraordinaire and
The Worlds's Most Modest Man
mailto:slushpump1 at comcast.net