[Dixielandjazz] Re:More Jump sides

dingle at baldwin-net.com dingle at baldwin-net.com
Mon Apr 18 07:28:43 PDT 2005

Charles Suhor wrote:

> Great list, Bob-- I'd add, as numbered on from my 78 rpm  sides--
>
> J 19 A,B and 23 A,B   Rushton's California Ramblers
> J 25 A,B  Bob Anderson's Oshkosh Serenaders
> J 4 A,B O'Brien's State Street Seven
>
> Also, Joe Yukl's recording of "Sugar" on Jumb, don't know who the
> leader was but Yukl's solo is great.On the Jump series, Rushton is
> wonderful throughout.
>
> Charlie Suhor
>
> On Apr 17, 2005, at 6:33 PM, Bill Haesler wrote:
>
>>> Joe Boughton, Allegheny Jazz Society, 283 Jefferson Street, Meadville,
>>
>> PA 16335, has taken over the Jump Label. He puts out a couple CDs a
>> year,
>> some re-releases, some new.<
>>
>> Dear Bob,
>> Thank you for this latest contact for Jump CDs.
>> Is there a web site? Google did not turn one up.
>> Worlds Records has 14 Jump CDs listed.
>> However, what is needed is the reissue of the following wonderful LPs
>> from
>> the 40s and 50s.
>> I bet Don Ingle has, or remembers, them all.
>> Unfortunately, I only have the 5 marked *.
>>
>> J 12-1.  Red Nichols and His Five Pennies
>> J 12-2.  *Rosy McHague's Ragtimers
>> J 12-3.  *La Vere's Chicago Loopers
>> J 12-4.  *La Vere's Chicago Loopers. Alternate "takes".
>> J 12-5.  *Pete Dailey and His Chicagoans
>> J 12-6.  George Van Eps
>> J 12-7.  Rosy McHague's Memphis Five.
>> J 12-8. *The 40s in Hollywood.
>>
>> So far as I know, only the McHague and some Van Epps' sides have made
>> it to
>> Jump CDs so far.
>> There were alternate and unissued takes for most of the above
>> sessions which
>> would make great additions to CD collections.
>> It would be great to see the whole of the old 78/LP Jump catalogue,
>> including the unissued sides, come out on CD.
>> Kind regards,
>> Bill.

Charles is spot on -- the reverse side of the Yukl number mentioned was
Yukl doing an unbelievably innventive solo on Body and Soul, with a
mastery of inserting, a tempo - pedal tones within runs -- something few
aside from that Mad Russian could achieve.
I had all of the old Jump 78's produced in the late 40's to early 50's.
Clive later sent me a set of the lp's he produced later in the late 70's
from the orginal 78's.
These included the alternate takes as mentioned. There was also
Teagarden on a LaVere tune, "It's all in Your Mind," vocal et al on one.
The Bobby Anderson sides were interesting. Anderson, a fine cornetist,
wrote a fun tune called "Corky" which Bobby Hammock arranged for Red
Nichols.
I wrote a chart of it for our group, the Michigan Nighthawks, as well as
the LaVere tunes of All in our mind and Misery and the Blues.
Dan Levenson put out a CD  of the Rosey McHargue 40's-50-s Ragtiemrs
sides with the qually fine cornetist Bobby Higgins, and Moe Schnieder on
trombone -- he of the Pere Kelley's Blues sides. Slowly, but hopefully
eventially, all of those Jump sides will appear on the market for we of
the generation of orginal listeners surviving to be able to play and
point to the newbies and say..."There - by gawd -- is the way if ought
to be played!" But hurry -- we be dying out by the scads of late!
Don Ingle