[Dixielandjazz] Milt Hinton documentary on PBS

David Richoux tubaman at batnet.com
Sun Apr 17 22:37:15 PDT 2005

Hi all,

A few days ago I sent a message about the documentary  ``Keeping Time:
The Life, Music and Photographs of Milt Hinton''  - I hope you have had
a chance to see it or will see it soon, because IMO it is a great film!

Somehow I think it fills a big gap in the "Ken Burns Jazz" series where
the focus on Big Band  switches quickly  to Bop and Dizzy, dismissing
Cab Calloway as a "mere entertainer" and Milt Hinton's contributions to
that band (and bass players in general) as not worthy of much mention.
(as I recall.)

I also think this film does a great job explaining the primary role of
the bass player in jazz (not excluding tuba players ;-) in setting
tempo, mood, and "drive."

The many thousands of pictures Milt took of fellow musicians are a big
part of this documentary but there are also many interviews with him,
his fellow musicians and his family.  Great stuff!

Dave Richoux