[Dixielandjazz] New Orleans Jazz Orchestra

Charles Suhor csuhor at zebra.net
Sat Apr 16 10:54:20 PDT 2005

Ratliff's review makes me wish that I had been there to hear the
concert without the web of associations that he spins. He makes it
clear that he's looking at Mayfield through the lens of Wynton, the
N.O. Jazz Orchestra through the lens of the Lincoln Center band, and
the concert hall setting through another set of preconceived ideas. The
band might be better or worse than he describes but we have a right to
wonder whether he was listening to what happened, or preoccupied with
making hip notes about how the band compares to others that he knows.
Comparison is fair game, but most of the review seems to rely on it.
Also, his description of Los Hombres Calientes as "a likable,
historically literate party band" is the ultimate in damning with faint
praise. I heard the band live at a concert in Montgomery, and one can
shake one's butt to the great rhythms but can also take the group
seriously as a fine Latin jazz band, I usually like Ratliff's writing
but I think he got a bit too hiply contextual here and didn't seem to
be opening up to the experience of the band.

Charlie