[Dixielandjazz] Re Matty Matlock and Paducah

SouJazz at aol.com SouJazz at aol.com
Sat Apr 16 09:26:37 PDT 2005

Well you are absolutely right about Mr Matlock-- I have a  copy on cd  of an
LP of his "The Dixieland Story" Matty Matlock and the Paducah Patrol-- he  was
a great player and I had understood that he was a great arranger on the  West
Coast. Wonderful to meet someone who has know him personally. Best  regards,
Ted Borodofsky in response to the dialogue below

Just a thought that many a jazz musician has kept from starving by   playing
>jingles, and or other assorted musical noise. They still do  today.  The
older
>audience does not go out to clubs or spend enough  money to keep  jazz viable
>as a means of making a  living.
>
>So what's a poor jazz muso  to do? :-)  VBG
>
>Cheers,
>Steve (no starving artist)   Barbone
>

>am a fellow clarinet player--in Paducah  Ky-an  ophthalmologist --I have
your
>cd and love your playing and  always enjoy reading  your comments on the
list-
>there are many  great jazz clarinet players both new  and old but I think
none
>play  better than Pete Fountain..I have love his playing  since I was 16 and
>am 60--and although I have listen to all the others I am  most  impressed
with
>him -- what is your opinion as a clarinet player who  has  been around and
can
>play very well??Ted Borodofsky   www.southernjazz.com

Don't overlook your very own home town clarietist and a gifted  arranger,
Julian C. "Matty" Matlock.
A more warm-hearted and kind man  never existed, and take that from a
former student of arranging of
this  man. The warm, woody sound he got on this clarinet matched his
personality.  He was always proud to be a
son of Paducah, was a "Duke of Paducah", and even  used the town's name
on one of his recording bands,
the Paducah Paraders.  As a freind and mentor of  this fellow, I can tell
you that he is still  missed but what
a lovely legacy of recrded music he left us. Matty's son Bud,  a high
school class mate of this fellow, was a gifted
guitarist that died  all too young of a sudden anuerism, but was a mirror
image of his dad in a  sweet and gentle
persona.
Don  Ingle

Dixielandjazz  mailing  list