[Dixielandjazz] Back to basics, please!

dingle at baldwin-net.com dingle at baldwin-net.com
Fri Apr 15 08:50:18 PDT 2005

Enough, already!!
This morning I had 31  posts in my mail from the list. 22 were rehashes
of the bad pun-turned-jingle-turned-nostaliga subjects -- which has
taken up the majority of space in this JAZZ list for too many days. My
delete button has begun to look shabby from overuse. So if I may voice
my curmudgeon viewpoint at this time, may I suggest that enough is
enough, folks, and it's time to return to the purpose of this list -- jazz.

To break the string, I will  ask this: Whatever happened to Chuck
Mackay. Wonderful trumpeter in the Charlie Teagarden style that worked
with some west coast bands and made a few recordings on Jump Label. He
worked for several years with my father, Red Ingle, but sort of dropped
off the radar in the years since. He had a wonderful lyrical style
refelcting his affection for Charlie T,  with whose family Chuck was
partly raised in Texas. Last I heard he had been selling insurance in
New York State somewhere, but that was hearsay. Anyone have anything
about this unsung but very tasty player?
Don (c'mon gang, let's get back to basics) Ingle