[Dixielandjazz] Re: N.O. J & H -Not OKOM

TCASHWIGG at aol.com TCASHWIGG at aol.com
Thu Apr 14 12:04:32 PDT 2005

In a message dated 4/14/05 10:56:06 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
luda at arnet.com.ar writes:

> Now, for me Not OKOM are Cajun, different types of R&B, rock, Latin sound,
> fusion, be bop, blue grass and rap and other ´´modern´´, and that is my
> about 80 % playing at jazz festivals. I am not saying that is good or bad.
> Fortunately, as Steve pointed, many people can hear OKOM at those festivals.
> Luis

Hi Luis and all:

OKOM is a pretty broad term even on this list:

My personal KOM includes,

Cajun, not unlike Bluegrass, Zydeco, Old School R&B,  Bebop, Early Rock like
Fats Domino,  Chuck Berry, Little Richard,Bo Diddley, and various jazz genres
like Nat King Cole,  Billy Holiday,   Ethel Waters, Mahalia Jackson,
Traditional Jazz of New Orleans, Louis, Teagarden, etc. Good Dixieland, a bit of
Classical, some Pop, Hoagy, Basie, Miller, Dorsey, and a lot of others.

But I have a pretty wide range compared to most Traditional OKOMers,  but you
have to remember that I was born a lot later than most of you folks, and had
my earliest exposure to music when OKOM was not very visible much less
interesting to young folks who had just discovered Freedom and Rock and Roll.

Cheers,

Tom Wiggins

Now don't get off into what I like the bestest.  :))