[Dixielandjazz] Pope Sicola & Musical Content

TCASHWIGG at aol.com TCASHWIGG at aol.com
Wed Apr 13 21:50:25 PDT 2005

In a message dated 4/13/05 9:06:37 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
barbonestreet at earthlink.net writes:

> All of us old timers in the USA remember the original which was sung
> incessantly on the radio back in the good old days:
>
> Pepsi Cola hits the Spot
> 12 Full ounces that's a lot
> Twice as much for a nickel too,
> Pepsi Cola is the drink for you.
>
> Ah, those good old radio days and all those singing commercials when Pepsi
> was 12 ounces and Coke, six ounces, both costing a 5 cents.
>
> Cheers,
> Steve Barbone

Ahhh yes, but some of us who lived in the Ghetto and did not have money for
such things became inventive and became entrepreneurs at an early age.

I used to have my friends meet me at the Gas station which foolishly had
their soft drink machine left outside 24 hours a day, and they could check their
pockets for nickels and pool their money and share drinks.  Now ya'll will
remember those machines with the bottles about five rows of them hanging by the
neck on a sliding set of bars.

You put your money into the machine and slid the bottle over to the exit
pocket and lifted it up out of the machine opened it on the bottle opener on the
side and enjoyed it.

Well, I showed up with a box of long soda fountain straws and a church key
bottle opener, and nightly ran two for one deals till they all got smart and
figured out how I was getting the  bottles open while still in the rack.

Yeah the gas station guy was having fits for a while but heck we were also
his best free air customers all week long for our leaking bicycle tires, and
good for the occasional flat tire fix on our bikes which he charged us about .25
to .50 cents to fix if he charged us at all.

He finally got wise to us and started moving the machine inside at night,
causing my first going out of  business.  :))

We also used to go out back of the station and collect his oil from oil
changes and his empty oil cans, then we refilled them and stored them in an
abandoned warehouse down the street and sold oil changes to some of the old folks for
their cars at 1/2 price,  yep, you guessed it we also saved their oil and
recycled it to another customer thereby saving the environment and being some of
the first genuine recyclers and the recycled stuff we sold was actually
cheaper than the new stuff too.

Then I discovered music and today I play recycled music :))
Just like all the rest of you :))

Cheers,

Tom Wiggins
Saint Gabriel's  Celestial Brass Band