[Dixielandjazz] Playing within one's self was too many notes

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 13 08:51:30 PDT 2005

Loved Gary Kiser's post about "notes". Within that post was the following
excjhange between Larry and Gary.

>A soloist should:
>1. play within his capabilities

>Sure, no one should do what (s)he can't do in concert.  A pro would work
>his ax in the practice room.

There are several schools of thought on that. Artie Shaw, for example, one
of the great "perfectionist" jazz musicians, is quoted as saying something
like "if a soloist doesn't make a mistake or too, (s)he isn't trying hard
enough."

Personally, I have heard Parker, Coltrane, Rollins et al (all masters of
their axes) make numerous "mistakes" in live performances. From reed squeaks
to botched notes, to time errors. I suspect they felt that in order to push
the creative envelope, one must play outside one's capabilities
occasionally.

Of course, all those errors are not heard with today's artists on records
for they are all corrected electronically in the name of "perfection."

Be that as it may, the bottom line was nailed shut by Gary. If it moves him,
then it is good . . . no mater how many notes etc. Hope I am paraphrasing
correctly. That is probably true for us all on a personal basis.

On the other hand, we should also remember one of my artist friends signs
above his studio doorway in West Chester PA. It said something like.

All ye who enter here
Keep your praise or your criticism to yourself
It matters not to me
I know what I am doing
And I am not doing it specifically for you.

He neither needed, nor sought validation and that's a great place to be.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone