[Dixielandjazz] Palmetto Bug Stompers - Jack Fine - N.O. Jazz & Heritage Festival

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Mon Apr 11 14:52:50 PDT 2005

If anyone attends Jazz & Heritage on Sat Morning, April 30 and sees/hears
Jack Fine and his Palmetto Bug Stompers, please, please say hello to him for
wife Martha and me. 4/30/05 11:10 AM, Economy Hall Tent.

Jack and I go back a long way to the jazz loft scene in NYC in the 40s-50s-
60s, the jazz nightclub scene there and even went on the road together one
fun summer. Many great stories about wine, women and song.

At that time, he was among the hottest New Orleans Dixieland trumpeters
around. He was in good company with Dick Sudhalter, Johnny Windhurst, Pee
Wee Erwin, Wild Bill et al. We had a lot of fun gigging together at the
Melody Lounge, Cinderella Club, other clubs and in loft sessions etc., with
guys like Roswell Rudd, Pops Foster, Pee Wee Russell, J. C. Higginbotham,
Vic Dickinson, Steve Lacy, Gene Schroeder et al. Jack and Pee Wee Russell
were kindred souls and he was a Pall Bearer at Pee Wee's funeral.

We lost touch when I left NYC in 1963 and quit playing. Then, connected
again in 1990 or so when I started playing again in Philadelphia. He had
also moved there. Ran into him at a jazz brunch. We did a bunch more gigs
together Then he moved to the New Orleans area.

He must be close to 80 now, and probably still blows a clean, loud trumpet.
"I play the truth", he used to say. Excellent lead horn, great improviser.
The stereotypical "jazz musician".

He was also a ladies man who attracted women where ever he went. Probably
still does, so beware. At least 4 wives, all beautiful, all wealthy. All
eventually left him because "the gig always came first" and they couldn't
tame him.

So if you are there, please give him Martha's and my best regards.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone