[Dixielandjazz] Memories of Tony Spargo

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Mon Apr 11 06:20:33 PDT 2005

Her is my pal Dick Sherman's response to Tony Sbarbaro's grandson's request
for information about Grand Dad's life as Tony Spargo in New York City.

Dick is an excellent drummer, a gig mate of mine in those days, and is still
active on the New York City OKOM scene.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone

Hi, Paul,
I'm responding, albeit belatedly, to Steve Barbone's email
request to send you what info I have on your late grandfather. By
the way, you really picked the right fellow (Steve) to ask, for
there is no one more willing to assist others than that generous
and very "savvy" gentleman.

Sorry to be slow in replying, but I've been away in Washington
D.C. playing gigs there with my Hamilton College Alumni All-Stars
Jazz Band. (Playing every year at Hamilton Reunions over 50
years, it is the longest-playing alumni jazz band in America)
I've been its first and only drummer for the past half century.

Anyway, I just returned and discovered Steve's email requesting
assistance for you in your quest.
I was a young drummer just out of the army after the Korean War.
I'd met Tony while attending Nicks where your grandpa was
drumming with Phil Napoleon and the Memphis Five. Besides Phil,
Tony's bandmates were Andy Russo (trombone), Phil Olivella
(Clarinet) Jack Fay (bass) --(I forget the pianist). Tony was
famous for playing the kazoo while playing drums--the only
drummer I ever knew to do that.

Yes he was a good drummer. I asked if he would give me lessons.
He agreed. He lived with his wife in Queens at the time (perhaps
Forest Hills or Kew Gardens). I lived in Westbury about 40 miles
East of NYC on Long Island. Tony agreed to be my teacher if I
would (1) pick him and his wife up at the Westbury station of the
Long Island Railroad and drive them to my house where the lessons
would take place in the cellar of my house where a drum set and
phonograph player "lived." Tony required only two things (1) be
picked up at the LIRR station in Westbury and (2)  my wife would
serve his wife tea during the lessons. It was a "done deal." Tony
charged the exorbitant sum of $2 per lesson.Outrageous! (I don't
know if he even broke even after paying the railroad fare).
He was a sweet and gentle man who loved being helpful to young
drummers he was "mentoring."

He was generous and wise with his advice. "Try to play in a place
where they provide the bass drum." "In the summer, make sure they
have air-conditioning". These were two of his offering that I
remember. Tony was not a great soloist or flashy stylist. But he
kept good time and "drove" the band with a powerful beat, always
"on the money." He had me play some Dixieland records on the
phonograph and accompany them on the drum set. After a few
lessons (no more than 4 or five) he told me our lessons had
concluded and he wouldn't be coming out to my home any more.

He said, you are a good drummer. You can keep time. There's
nothing more I can teach you, so I won't take your money any
more. Always remember, travel as light as you can. (That advice
has served me well over the past 50 years, and I often think
fondly of him when I'm paring down a drum kit into basic
essentials whenever I can these days.(Often a bass drum, snare
drum, high hat and cymbals serves as well as a complete set with
tom toms etc.) But, Paul, I revered the man and would have paid
him just to sit and talk with me without any lessons. I was sorry
when our teacher/pupil relationship ended.

Sorry there's not much more I can tell you. This episode would
have occurred between 1956 and 1957. I was about 26 years old
then. I'm 73 now. In my brief "bio" that appears in the
flyer/brochure that the New York Public Library hands out at my
weekly performances at the Donnell Library Center, I'm pleased to
tell you that my studies with Tony Spargo are mentioned
prominently. He was my first "idol" as a drummer. I was proud to
be his pupil.

That's all I  have for you, Paul. Feel free to ask questions if
you have them. Helping you is certainly in the tradition of Tony
Spargo and Steve Barbone whose helpfulness to others is
legendary. It has been my pleasure

Sincerely,
Dick Sherman