[Dixielandjazz] Trivia bits

Fred Spencer drjz at bealenet.com
Fri Apr 8 08:51:01 PDT 2005

Stuart Nicholson, in his book "Billie Holiday", says that she was
illegitimate and was born on 7 April 1915 in Philadelphia. She was
registered with the name "Eleanora Harris"as shown in a "certified copy" of
her birth certificate, courtesy of  City of Philadelphia, Department of
Records, City Archives". Billie herself gave her birthplace as Philadelphia
on her "US  Passport, No. 1047225." There is more information on the tangled
web of Billie Holiday's ancestry and birth on page 17 of Nicholson's
scholarly book (Boston, Northeastern University Press, 1995). Cheers.
Fred