[Dixielandjazz] RE: Itzak Perlman story/tuning

Bill Gunter jazzboard at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 7 14:35:02 PDT 2005

Tamas had a 25% disagreement with my post about stringed instruments not
holding their pitch when a new string is installed:

>. . .  In case of the E string it pretty much stays there right
>away. If the A, D or G string breaks, you are right.

The e string on a fiddle is a pretty fine guage steel string and most likely
will stretch to its full limit in a very short period of time. But if you're
working with a guitar, banjo, uke etc. etc. That stretch business will keep
you busy adjusting the pitch when a new string is installed!

I've never had a violin string break while playing it so my experience is
limited to other stringed instruments. In any case, if I were in the middle
of a violin concerto and a string broke and I grabbed the concert master's
violin (I've seen it done with the local Sacramento Symphony) I would be
reluctant to reclaim my instrument in the middle of the concerto right after
the concert master restrung it. I'm sure I would most likely finish the
concerto with the concert master's ax.

Respectfully submitted,

Bill "concert violinist (hah!)" Gunter
jazzboard at hotmail.com