[Dixielandjazz] Jimmy Yancey

John Farrell stridepiano at tesco.net
Wed Apr 6 13:45:08 PDT 2005

Butch - believe me, I'm not putting Yancey down, I'm just curious to know
why great pianist friends such as yourself, Neville Dickie, Louis Mazetier
etc. are so captivated by his playing. I've tried very hard but just don't
get it.

Maybe one day the light will dawn, I remember that in my youth I suffered
the same blind spot with Art Tatum until one day at a party after a drink
too many somebody put on a Tatum LP which totally enthralled me. He has been
one of my greatest heroes ever since.

John Farrell