Re(2): [Dixielandjazz] Multiple chorus solos

Dick Miller Dick_Miller at pmug.org
Tue Apr 5 16:42:07 PDT 2005

dingle at baldwin-net.com writes:
>I second the good comments on Paul Woltz. I had the pleasure of working
>with him and also recording with him with the Sons Of Bix, and he is a
>giant player.
>We had one set where our regular bass saxist  Russ Whitman went to tenor
>sax, clarinetist John Otto switched to the Bass Sax, and Paul played
>also. Then
>Paul swtiched to Bass sax and Russ and Otto did two clarinets for part
>of a chorus. Imagine haveing three guys who played great bass sax on one
>band. On anotehr tune Randy Rinehardt grabbed my valve trombone and
>handed me his cornet and we did another round of switcheroo all over.
>Good thing our charts were marked with the right instrument to clue us
>back to normal. Well...sort of!
>Indeed, Paul is a marvel. And way beyond being a nice guy -- he is a
>great guy and joy to work with. Wish it happened more often.
>Don Ingle

Don:

Got to tell you how much I've enjoyed what you've done with the SOB. I
heard the group first at one of the first LA Classic fests (early 80s?),
and bought the 3 vinyl albums you then had (which I still have). I'm,
among other things, a marching trombone player, so have a particular
affinity for that kind of sound.

In the last several years I've had the good fortune to be a friend of Don
Gibson, who now lives in Portland where I do. Also had the chance to jam
(and work) with ol' nine fingers. I don't know whether you're up to date
on Don's health status but, to make a long story short, he had a series of
small strokes a few months ago following open heart surgery. Much of his
recovery is well along, but he's still having trouble with his left arm.
His outlook is strong, however: he's putting together a backup group of
local musicians for his buddy Bob Schulz's appearance next November at the
Portland Dixieland Jazz Society (I'm the band coordinator), and he told me
he's not booking any piano player for the gig just yet. ;-)

BTW, on the idea of 3 bass saxes: Uptown Lowdown has a CD featuring 3 bass
saxes called "Pieter, Paul, and John: the Apostles of Sax," with Paul,
John Goodrich (their regular soprano/clarinet guy, and another of the
really nice guys in OKOM) and Pieter Meyers, currently leader of High
Sierra JB, and totally certifiable. ;-)

I'll tell Don G. you said hello, or you can do it  yourself: he's at
gibsonsob at aol.com.

Regards,

--Dick Miller