[Dixielandjazz] Multiple chorus solos

Dick Miller Dick_Miller at pmug.org
Tue Apr 5 08:54:29 PDT 2005

dixielandjazz at ml.islandnet.com writes:
>I play a half dozen times a year with a monster of the alto sax, Daniel
>Huck.  He is the only musician with whom I play that has really mastered
>the extended solo.  He will do a feature each set and it isn't uncommon
>for him to take 5 or 6 forms on the tune.  But, I swear, it doesn't feel
>like 6 forms.  He develops a couple of small ideas and then plays them
>off of each other and the energy just goes up and up.  I don't know how
>many times I've played with Daniel where at some point in his solo, I
>think to myself; "ok, here comes the end because he can't go any
>higher."  But, then he does.  If you have never heard Daniel Huck, put
>him on your wish list.

I've got to put in my $.02 worth here for Paul Wolz, master of alto and
bass saxes with the Uptown Lowdown JB of Seattle. He plays many other
instruments as well, but these are the two he usually plays with the band.
His alto work sounds to me a lot like early Johnny Hodges.

On one of their recordings, Paul does 17 choruses on bass sax on "Avalon"
without repeating an idea. Amazing! One of the truly nice guys in OKOM, as
well.

--Dick Miller