[Dixielandjazz] FW: motor car (automobile) songs

David Richoux tubaman at batnet.com
Mon Apr 4 21:17:08 PDT 2005

On Apr 4, 2005, at 4:19 PM, Bill Haesler wrote:

> Dear friends,
> Listmate Ross Anderson (leader of the New Melbourne Jazz Band) has
> asked me
> for a list of motor car (automobile) songs.

One of my favorites, not exactly OKOM (but very close) is by Tom Waits:
'"Ol' 55" - a great car, night into sunrise happy blues:

> Well my time went so quickly,
>  I went lickety-splickly out to my old '55
>  As I drove away slowly, feeling so holy,
>  God knows, I was feeling alive.
>
>  Now the sun's coming up,
>  I'm riding with Lady Luck,
>  freeway cars and trucks,
>  Stars beginning to fade,
>  and I lead the parade
>
>  Just a-wishing I'd stayed a little longer,
>  Oh, Lord, let me tell you
>  that the feeling's getting stronger.
>
>  And it's six in the morning,
>  gave me no warning; I had to be on my way.
>  Well there's trucks all a-passing me,
>  and the lights are all flashing,
>  I'm on my way home from your place.
>
>  And now the sun's coming up,
>  I'm riding with Lady Luck,
>  freeway cars and trucks,
>  Stars beginning to fade,
>  and I lead the parade
>
>  Just a-wishing I'd stayed a little longer,
>  Oh, Lord, let me tell you
>  that the feeling's getting stronger.
>
>  And my time went so quickly,
>  I went lickety-splickly out to my old '55
>  As I pulled away slowly, feeling so holy,
>  God knows, I was feeling alive.
>
>  Now the sun's coming up,
>  I'm riding with Lady Luck,
>  Freeway cars and trucks,
>  freeway cars and trucks,
>  freeway cars and trucks...

Having seen Tom perform many times I still cannot exactly put him into
any one "slot" - I can tell he certainly knows a whole lot about early
jazz and blues, even f he is also in a more "beat/modern" mode. I think
he is a great (if odd) musician/songwriter and is "timeless" in the
scope of 20th -21st century American music.

Just my opinion ;-)
Dave Richoux