[Dixielandjazz] Note count

Gary Kiser gary at kiser.org
Mon Apr 4 17:38:09 PDT 2005

Hi,

I can't see how one can rate someone's chorus by counting notes.  For
me, it is what he/she does with those notes that count.  Is there a
story?  Is there development?  Yes, I have heard many fantastic
technicians play wild and crazy choruses that didn't do anything for
me.  Yet, I have heard so many minimalist choruses that were ... well
... minimalist.  A musician's style, technique and musical vocabulary
will influence what he/she is comfortable playing.  If the muso sounds
comfortable and in his/her 'groove,' I generally enjoy what he/she does
whether minimalist or notes a plenty.

On this same sort of idea, I am bothered by musos that take multiple
choruses just to take a longer solo.  I appreciate someone that can
develop an idea and build on it throughout her/his solo.

I play a half dozen times a year with a monster of the alto sax, Daniel
Huck.  He is the only musician with whom I play that has really mastered
the extended solo.  He will do a feature each set and it isn't uncommon
for him to take 5 or 6 forms on the tune.  But, I swear, it doesn't feel
like 6 forms.  He develops a couple of small ideas and then plays them
off of each other and the energy just goes up and up.  I don't know how
many times I've played with Daniel where at some point in his solo, I
think to myself; "ok, here comes the end because he can't go any
higher."  But, then he does.  If you have never heard Daniel Huck, put
him on your wish list.

This started as an addition to the 'many note' thread and has finished a
plug for Daniel Huck.  Anyway, he would love to play the States even
though it is clear he wouldn't get paid what he gets over here.  He is
more a 'jazz party' class of musician with over 200 gigs a year.
Nonetheless, he would love to play an American jazz festival once.  So,
if there are any interested festival directors . . .

All the best, Gary

Gary Kiser
www.sacapulses.com
www.mojobrassband.com