[Dixielandjazz] Just back from N. Orleans

loerchen2 at aol.com loerchen2 at aol.com
Mon Apr 4 12:19:28 PDT 2005

Hi Dick,

I have to make a few comments here --

The Monday night lineup at Fritzel's is David Boeddinghaus, Tom Fischer, JJ Juliano, and Banu Gibson.  To my mind, that's some of the best music in town.   Jacques Gauthe plays there almost every other night.  I heard him on Wed. night and he was great.

The Jazz Vipers play at Storyville on Sat. nights and at the Spotted Cat on Fridays and Mondays.  I think their bass player is one of the best in town at traditional slap bass technique, although some of the others may leave a bit to be desired.  Tom Saunders is recovering from a long illness and is just starting to get back to bass sax -- he really makes the group swing.

The Palm Court is also great on Thursdays (although that drummer tends to use the ride too much for my liking) and Sundays.

(And if you went on the Natchez on Thursday, one of the regular musicians was out.)

For those of you who are coming this week for French Quarter Fest and had planned a F2F at Jack Maheu's club, might I suggest the Palm Court instead?  I expect there will be some good musicians in town who will be sitting in.  Banu Gibson is playing at Snug Harbor that night too.

And on Wednesday, Bob Havens will be playing the Palm Court, and that's a special treat!

Sue