[Dixielandjazz] Feeling & Notes & Soul

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sun Apr 3 16:05:51 PDT 2005

Bob Romans asked:

> I would be interested in asking the whole list, who, among all of the great
> cornet/clarinet/trombone/piano players, put the most FEELING into their
> solos, with the fewest number of notes????

Then many responded about few note players & how that equates to "soul".

Ha Ha, you all must love Chris Botti. :-) VBG

Thinking about soul . . . that's a whole other topic. Must folks of our age,
mental make up and limited musical tastes have no soul. Not including Don
Ingle and some others. If the glove doesn't fit, don't wear it. :-) VBG.

Like Ringwald implied, those guys on the Summit concert have PLENTY of soul
in their make-up as well as being technically excellent "JAZZ Musicians". As
contrasted to musicians who also play jazz once in a while. BIG difference.

Too many notes? Nah. Just adjust your ears and mind to hear the melody.
Can't do it? Well then, check your own soul, or lack thereof. ;-) VBG

Cheers,
Steve Barbone