[Dixielandjazz] Band Leaders & Artistic Temperament

dhs at ev1.net dhs at ev1.net
Sun Apr 3 12:58:21 PDT 2005

Dear Listers:

I found the NY Times article on Ricardo Muti's departure from La Scala to be
quite interesting.  I grew up in the Philadelphia area, and heard the
Philadelphia Orchestra a number of times.  I even got to meet Ricardo Muti
after a 1991 concert.

The Orchestra and its fans generally recognized Muti as a major musical
talent, but he was never very popular there.  One of the main reasons for
this was that he always kept the music directorship at La Scala.
Philadelphians felt that the directorship of the Philadelphia Orchestra
should have been enough, all by itself.  Eventually, Muti made the choice to
leave Philadelphia and devote himself to La Scala.  It is ironic that his
efforts have met with such a bitter ending.

Being music director of a major orchestra or opera company is so political
these days.  I can't think of a post with more political overtones than the
musical directorship of the New York Philharmonic.  I wish Muti well if he
gets the NYP.

Regards,
Dave Stoddard
Round Rock, TX