[Dixielandjazz] Chuck Conklin RIP

Richard Broadie rbroadie at dc.rr.com
Thu Sep 30 17:41:15 PDT 2004

For those of you not familiar with Chuck Conklin, he's the guy who mortgaged
his house to keep the LA Classic Jazz Festival going in its early years.  He
was the founder of that festival to which the current Sweet 'N Hot Festival
owes much as its precursor.   He was the leader of the Angel City Jazz Band
that featured many of LA's top players including Betty O'Hara and Dick
Cathcart.  As a recording engineer he recorded many of Bob Tabor's Poor
Angel sessions.  He worked as an audio engineer on numerous tv shows
including Cheers, Wings and Fraser.

I met Chuck and Mert around 1970 when we were neighbors in the San Fernando
Valley.  He used to sit in on my band along with Ken Albers of the 4
Freshmen who came from Chuck's home town and was his close friend.  Chuck
wasn't a particularly talented player but was smart enough to surround
himself with absoluely the best out there and then stand back and enjoy the
music.  In this manner, he was a most effective leader.

We had a couple of nice chats 3 weeks ago at the Sweet & Hot festival.  I
have two photos of  him that were taken then that I'd be happy to share with
anyone who would like to have them.   Just drop me an email at
rbroadie at dc.rr.com.    I hope Floyd Levid or someone writes a nice obituary
on him.   I'm sure I'm leaving so much out about how significant Chuck's
contributions were to the LA Jazz scene.

I'll miss my friend Chuck very much..  R.I.P.

Dick Broadie